Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

30 April 2006

"The Whiffenpoof Song (Baa! Baa! Baa!)"

Obviously we are now in the 'stupid college songs' section. Yesterday's number was boring and mediocre, this is just silly. Maybe that's the point. Don't make me sing this again.

Finally the Chopin piano piece that I've been working on is coming together. My goal is to get it 'passed' this Tuesday at my piano lesson, moving on to a new Debussy piece that I'd like to do. It's an interesting process, learning a piece. Everything seems to go through a phase where I don't want to work on it at all, but then I come back, and new insights do somehow develop while I'm on vacation from it. Today I was warming up with a sonatina that I learned last year, and I realized that it's still a thrill, playing a piece like this relatively well. I remember hearing people playing these pieces in the practice rooms at college, where I was at the absolute bottom of the heap. The thrill has not worn off, to be able to play something 'real' myself, like the thrill hasn't worn off to be able to sing through my break point. A lot of my own skills or gifts I do take for granted, limited and boring as they are. It's nice to be doing something that demonstrates my progress even to my own eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter