Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

26 April 2006

"Let Me Call You Sweetheart (I'm In Love With You)"

This must be the waltz section. This one was a little less interesting than the last two, but it still works. I wouldn't kick it out of bed. Maybe.

Today in my voice lesson we were working on 'Lover Man' (which was also sung by the Communards? or so my husband tells me). A perfect song for the 'inner slut' exercises. Beth pointed out that a million people can sing a song well, and I know this to be true myself. So what makes a song really work: When it's believable. When the audience is moved. When it's well acted. I'm really hoping that I can pull this off. She said for this one that I should be able to sing it and have everyone who hears it ready to take me to bed. What a great fantasy. Who doesn't want to be wanted by all and sundry? Sometimes especially sundry. And certainly especially as I'm about to hit forty.

This had me thinking about random desire for my person, and I just don't get it. It's out there sometimes, I've seen it, even recently, but what other people seem to find sexually attractive about me is not what I would have chosen myself. I would say the way I move, or my sensuality, or the fact that I just like people. But I'm not sure that any of those are what draws my husband to me, and unfortunately it wouldn't be appropriate to ask anyone else. So it just leaves me wondering, and fantasizing that maybe if I sing this song right, I will have some experience of the direct relationship between action and the creation of desire.

Realistically, I'll probably be doing ok if I just don't flub the song entirely. And although I have a very small piano audience in my piano group, I don't have anything like that for my singing. The dining room walls may be veritably dripping with longing, but that's likely to be about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter