Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

23 April 2006

"More"

I would never have known this song from the title, I don't think I ever heard the words, and had certainly never sung them. But the melody in its entirety was familiar, and it's good to sing. It uses the bottom end of my register more, which is nice, since that's something I'm working on in my voice lessons as well ('discover your inner slut'). This song's original text is in Italian, unfortunately not included here. I do now have a version of 'Stardust' with the French lyrics, though, and in a lower key. Fun upon fun indeed.

Today I ran a 10K race that went quite well. I did not win, alas, but the storm clouds from earlier in the morning had blown away, and Spring was beautifully sprung and scenic. The race was run along a section of the local Montour Trail. This trail will eventually be 47 miles long, 40 of these are open for business currently. Last fall I did a couple races on the Panhandle Trail, which intersects this trail a bit farther up than I was today. I'm really liking these trail runs. Part of the rails-to-trails conversions, the trails are mostly flat, with a good surface, and very well maintained. Today I even got to run through a rather long tunnel--twice, since it was an out-and-back race. The dark coolness in there gave me quite a boost. Eventually we'll be able to go all the way from Pittsburgh to DC along trails, which will be great. Now that my daughter has started to ride a real bicycle, I feel optimistic about doing some family biking/hiking/camping in this system.

This particular race today, the 6th Annual Burgh's Pizza & Wing Pub 10K/2K Fun Walk, was a keeper. A well run race, with the new-to-me 'collapsible trail cooler' as my race souvenir. (Think 'insulated lunch box'.) I also got the somewhat ubiquitous water bottle (this one was yellow), and the very odd box of tea. Even better, and new to me, was the huge spread of food post-race: wings, fries, sandwiches, and a selection of beers. I told my husband later that this would be a good 10K to run next year, for that alone.

One last running comment: I invite all other runner-readers to join me in the 'Smiling Runners' club. Surely one can work up the energy to give a quick grin to other runners, especially on an out-and-back, beautiful day, happy trail race like this. Most people just look so darn serious, and this is surely more fun than that, or why do it at all?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter