Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

15 April 2006

"Lover"

This song is tricky to sing because of the inherent pauses in the phrases, I wonder how the decision was made to handle that in its initial recording or performance, whether the composer had any say in the process, or if it was up to the performer.

Here, I'm inclined to say, it's all up to the performer. Maybe some infinite Being does talk to some people directly, maybe She communicates with me. I am listening, maybe I'm even responding, adjusting my actions according to some inner sensation that initially comes from a Deity. But consciously I'm just trying to do my best, be the best person I can, raise my daughter well, be a good friend, and wife, and sister, and daughter. If the Goddess speaks to me through my intuition, more power to her. I like the subtlety of it. If we're on our own, to make or break the world, it serves us right if we screw it up.

People have said that we're screwing up the world for thousands of years, though. I think we've gotten better at it, mind you, but it's not a new theme.

[Still sick, though I did finish my race. It was challenging near the end, though my time wasn't too bad. Driving home felt a bit unsafe, though. My jacket was not waiting for me at the finish line, nor was anyone from the organization sponsoring said jacket. That sucks. I'm going to call them on Monday. Meanwhile, buffalo burgers on the grill: my spring recommendation.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter