Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

11 April 2006

"I Will Wait For You"

This song has such fabulous schmaltz. I was prepared to find it too much so, but I still really enjoyed singing it. It was originally in French, by the way. Today, while singing it, I also felt like I was starting to hear myself better, hear how action translated into sound even more. I am encouraged.

My daughter and I were watching the original Star Wars movies over the last couple of days. I'm embarassed to say that I've let her see them multiple times, though she has to wait quite a while between viewings. It is a comfort to me that she's familiar with all those characters, since they were an important part of my media-life growing up. There is no real way to explain to her how magical, how great those movies were, when I was ten years old and nothing like that had been seen before. I look at them now and find them dated, and the acting atrocious, but there is enough of that initial wonder left somewhere in me that I can still watch and remember and enjoy.

When my sister was here in Pittsburgh we did the requisite trip to her favorite local store, 'Groovy', which sells all sorts of vintage toys. The real find that day was a 'Dark Crystal' lunch box, in great condition, complete with flip-top thermos. We didn't buy that, unfortunately, but my sister patiently helped me look through a rather large box of Star Wars cards, referring to a list of 'cards needed' that I keep handy in my Palm organizer. I was thrilled to finally be able to add cards to my collection (carefully kept in binders), and simultaneously appalled that I had this list even with me.

If one is going to be a geek, go all the way. Especially as an adult. This is the time when I really don't care who's watching, who sees. And the thrill of putting the last card of the second set (blue) of 'Empire Strikes Back' cards in its binder, into the place that had been waiting for it oh these many years: well, it's true--priceless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter