Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

08 April 2006

"Call Me Irresponsible"

Go ahead, I know that it's true. It could be worse, though, I could be dangerously irresponsible with my daughter, or my own life. As it is, my irresponsibility is a bit limited. Do I need to commit more to this? Really see it through? Lay around all day, eating candy and watching soap operas while chain smoking and letting my daughter play with the circular saw? Maybe not.

This song is pure fun to sing, and it fits my voice relatively well. I caught myself in the mirror making the more relaxed mouth shape for an 'ooo' sound and felt like progress was being made. Of course, there are still many other things happening vocally that I have no clues around: why did that sound better, what did I do there? How do the sounds I hear relate to what I'm doing, and how does any of that translate to my listeners? This song, and yesterday's, are also part of a new section: 'All-Time Film Hits'.

I'm enjoying a period of feeling a tad more organized in general, and on top of things. I breathe this in deeply, and remind myself that this is possible. I did yoga this morning for the first time in a long time. I've been running exclusive of any other kind of exercise recently, despite knowing that Pilates would really help my back, and that yoga would help my entire life. But time is limited, and going in and out of phase with some things is still better than nothing. Since my daughter is on break this week, and running will be less possible, this may be the week to immerse myself again in yoga: the breath to the center of my body, the awareness of the outer edges of my feet, and the bend of my hips.

This week I was working on a female client, and admired the curve of her back into her hips. This is one of my favorite parts on my own body, and it has nothing to do with how it looks and everything with how it feels: under my hands, and from the inside out as I move. It was very disturbing when my running first began to change the shape of my butt, because the whole feel of my back into my hips changed. It's odd to have my body feel unrecognizable. I also really like the hip crease in the front of my body, how it reveals the action of the hip joint. When I think of these parts I'm thinking of women's bodies in general, and mine in particular, it's a very personal and sensual attraction to beautiful basic physicality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter