Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

07 April 2006

"Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head"

This song was certainly appropriate here, today, with rain on and off all day long. It's an appropriately spring-thing in this part of the country, and I don't mind. Spring rain has a smell all of its own, a bit harsher than the summer and fall rains. I like it. I like this song, too, though that's mostly for the fact that it was a song I sang as a kid, though I have no idea in what context. Was it a song I heard on the radio? Did my mother have a record? Do young people today even know what a record is? 'Just drop the needle anywhere': how dated is that saying?

Today felt like a day of accomplishments, and that makes me feel so entirely capable and happy. I bought the software to do our taxes this weekend, since our accountant dropped off the face of the earth at some point in the last year. I installed a new toilet seat for the first time. I took my first knitting class (and learned two ways to decrease, two ways to increase, and how to pick up new stitches with a different yarn). We now have two more working faucets than we did twenty four hours ago, and we know a reliable, competent, plumber. (My daughter wanted to know if he 'plumbed'. Did he? Why don't we use that as a verb, if it's 'plumber' and 'plumbing'?) I got a large order of yarn, with which various small projects will be realized. I have a date for the upcoming wine festival in Pittsburgh: someone fabulous to drink with, always a very fine thing. Life is, yet again, very good. I feel wealthy with all sorts of possibilities and promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter