Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

30 March 2006

"Side By Side"

I think, maybe, finally, all my internet problems are solved. Maybe I shouldn't say that out loud. Knock on wood, and all, if I can find any. This has been incredibly frustrating, and enlightening, in the sense of showing me how much I have come to depend on the internet for all sorts of things: buying boots, checking zoo hours, researching yarn, and so much more.

This unexpected, undesired hiatus has also brought to light what writing this blog does for me, all in good ways. Well, perhaps having that extra half-hour or forty-five minutes in my day to accomplish something on the long list of to-dos is pleasant--but the reasons to write are still more persuasive. I like singing every day, having to sing a new song everyday. It's brought in a way to practice my new and exciting vocal tricks, as well as improving my piano sight reading skills to no end. And on the writing side I find myself thinking about things differently throughout the day when I know that I'll need to write about something that evening. My brain is forced to become more organized. The process of writing itself seems to draw on other things entirely, inspired by the singing, and playing, and thinking, using these as a springboard to other ways of stretching my brain, playing with words and phrases, structuring my thoughts on electronic paper. It's all been good (except for that mind-bending frustration part), and I'm very glad to be back.

This song, by the way, is great. It begins a new section in this book, songs from the roaring twenties, and I know from past experience that these will be lots of fun to sing. I sing this piece, and think of strolling along with my daughter, that feeling that life is good no matter what it throws at you. Yahoo life, yahoo life in the electronic age, yahoo good times with my family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter