Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

09 March 2006

"Red Roses For A Blue Lady"

I like singing this song. It does capture a bit more of the sweep of melodic line that I find interesting, and fun. And I like roses, too, quite a lot. This is yet another color song as well--did the editors do this on purpose? Is there some plot, here?

Today my daughter and I picked a child to sponsor. I was partially inspired by the opportunity that a friend had to visit a child in Africa that he had been sponsoring for the last ten years. But I also had this in mind as an opportunity to make my daughter aware of the world at large, and her lucky status in that world. We'll be sponsoring an eight year old girl from Egypt, and I'm really looking forward to finding out more about her, and establishing some sort of communication. I have no idea how all this works in reality, still, but we'll see. On the home front, I'm making some inquiries about volunteering at a soup kitchen here in Pittsburgh, maybe on regular monthly basis. Again, this is inspired by my daughter's concern about people getting enough to eat. (She's also very worried about the cheetahs, but I'm not sure, besides some sort of donation, what we could do to feel more personally involved with that.)

It's interesting, as always, to do things with my daughter that I've wanted to do for a while. I unashamedly use her as the catalyst for my own desired actions. It's probably one of the best things about being a parent. It's an excuse to learn more about dinosaurs, or the weather, or Amelia Earhart, to visit the zoo and museums, to do good in small ways in the world, close or far from home. I'm also happy to lend my daughter out to friends and family who would like to have these experiences, without the time and money involved in having a child of their own. You know who you are, just ask.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter