Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

27 February 2006

"What The World Needs Now is Love"

Perhaps this is true, certainly it's not the most crazy idea that I've heard. Unfortunately for me, the song has been overplayed, though it still retains just a flavor of its appeal. And it could also be that again, given when I grew up, I heard this song more than folks of a different decade.

My daughter is off school all this week, and I'm already exhausted from momhood. I know this doesn't speak highly of my patience or persistence. A friend today said, 'Isn't it nice having them home all day?'. I couldn't speak, because the answer is very firmly, 'No!'

I love my daughter very much. I love hearing about her plans and projects, and seeing her vision on paper and in play. I love holding her on my lap, playing games with her, having long and short conversations that range over a hundred topics. And I need time to briefly, daily, not be her mother: to be me.

Today I didn't get it, and I'm cranky, and tired, and I'm going to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter