Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

22 February 2006

"All The Things You Are"

I like this one. It feels very lush, it's very nice to sing. My daughter was home sick today, and she sang this one with me, as well as accompanying me to my voice lesson. She likes following along with the music. It's really nice to have her join me.

It's interesting to think what her early music memories will be, and on what path they'll be the soundtrack. My husband remembers Abba and Mahler, and I remember asking my babysitter to put on the Peter, Paul and Mary records. I've started to collect these recordings now on CD, and it's very moving to hear them, for the first time in years in some cases, since the tapes I made died long ago. Listening to this music, singing along, literally changed my life, shaped it. That sounds so over-dramatic, but I think I would have been very different if my early musical influence was Bach, or the Beatles.

So now: our daughter may not listen to much Mahler, but she loves Peter, Paul and Mary, and Abba, and Dar Williams, and Wolgemut, and the soundtracks from Grease and the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Musical. The mind reels to consider it, certainly, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it evolves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter