Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

17 February 2006

"Make Believe"

[Note: I will not be posting for the next two days, as I will be without Internet access or piano availability until Monday. My first vacation from blogging!]

Another song that didn't work for me. It's not as interesting, plus it does some things that aren't as fun to sing. What is it that makes something fun to sing? It's certainly the way the text is set, but what about the line of a melody makes it pure pleasure when done well, and almost painful on the opposite end? I know some of this is the match of song style to vocal style, but in some respects a good song is just a good song.

I was talking to someone today about menopause. I'm not there yet, but it does feel like it's looming on the horizon, and I'm not looking forward to it. It sounds like pregnancy in many ways, your body doing weird things you've never seen before and have no way to predict. Also, there are way too many books about both pregnancy and menopause that can tell in gory detail the three thousand possible horrible things that can happen. Probably not many of these will happen to any one person, as far as I can tell, and I think that our adaptability in the moment helps most people to adjust. I stopped reading the pregnancy books early on, and I don't imagine that I'll start in on the menopause ones ever. My plan is to keep breathing, and pay attention. Change is always happening, in all parts of my life, and my experience will always be unique. I love to hear other women's stories, because it does give me touch points, more information to imagine my own life as it unfolds. But I will have my own story to tell, which will be unique.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter