Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

07 February 2006

"In the Chapel in the Moonlight"

If this had a totally different text I think I might like it, except for that part where I have to hang out on the E for too long. But the longing-for-my-wedding-day sentiment is a bit much for me. It does reference 'Promise Me', which now I know, at least.

The other day I saw a woman walking along the street, and it occurred to me that she didn't look comfortable in her own body. She was wearing heeled boots and jeans. I need to digress a bit and state that my mom hates that look, and she also has always hated women who don't know how to walk in heels, which happens way too often. Walking in sneakers and walking in heels are not the same thing, and can't be done the same way. I don't pretend to be great at walking in heels, since I do it so rarely, but I'm very conscious of making an effort when I do: shorter steps, keep it heel-toe, don't stomp. Let my upper body float over my legs, as if I'm on wheels. I have this image of me wearing a long dress when I do this, in order to help with the floating idea, as if people really couldn't even see my feet, and might wonder if I am indeed on roller skates.

What is it to be comfortable in our bodies, so that it shows to a stranger? Teenagers will always look somewhat awkward, it's impossible to adjust quickly enough to that much change happening so quickly, physical and psychological and emotional all mixed up, and not in a good way. But after we grow into our limbs I would think we would have all learned, eventually, where we are in space. Athletes and dancers often have it figured out, and it makes watching them a real pleasure. Just to watch some people walk is nice.

I've always been attracted to the way people move, as if the ease of being in their bodies reflected some deep ease with life that I wanted to bask in the warmth of, as well as twine myself around. And I never tire of watching my daughter move: growing fast now, but a few years yet before all the hormones hit full blast. She's sometimes clumsy, but she's unafraid to explore space with her body, and to take great joy in where it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter