Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

29 January 2006

"The Star Spangled Banner"

At last, the piece that actually is our national anthem. Although the lyrics are gory, and the tune is not original, it is a stirring song. A challenging range, which either calls the soloist to new heights, or just makes it difficult for the average person to sing, you decide. Most importantly today, it is the last song in this book. Tomorrow is a new beginning.

This project is a good thing for me. It's brought together in an organized and disciplined way my piano and vocal projects. Yesterday I went back and sang the first song from this book, 'Avalon', and read the post I wrote 124 days ago, and both the original singing experience and its post feel very different time. I'm looking forward to seeing where I am at the end of the next book.

Binky commented that I should be writing for myself, but if that were true, I'd be writing in my journal, or journaling on the computer, if I felt the need for the instant-edit. There is something worthwhile for me in writing for you, in writing that which will be read by someone. Thanks to all of you who are following along. Please continue to let me know what you think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter