Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

19 January 2006

"Rock of Ages"

An old song, and an even older poem for the lyrics. I don't find this as problematic as the last song, mostly because the language is very archaic, it's easier to let it flow over me. I'm not sure that I ever knew more than the title of this, words-wise, before today, though I know the whole of the melody. They note here that this is a very popular song for funerals.

Today was a long day, work-wise. This evening I found it very difficult to concentrate during my last massage, which is oddly enough usually not a bad thing for the client, since when I'm tired I always go long, and no one complains about that.

I continue to feel very lucky in my job of late. Today someone referred to my profession as an example of 'honorable work.' I like that. It's a good thing, a great gift, to have a job that feels worthwhile, meaningful, fufilling. I know how completely great that is, and as hard as I've worked towards this end, I still feel somewhat lucky to be here, doing what I do. A very tired 'yahoo' to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter