Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

13 January 2006

"Blue-Tail Fly"

A slave song, with its unhappy connotations. Though with this one, the master dies at the end, bitten by that old blue tail fly. I can sense the concealed glee over this, and wonder if there is deeper symbolism somewhere in there. Blue. Fly. Hmmm.

I would love to write a longer post this evening, but I literally have miles to go before I sleep.

Instead, this brief appreciation of my new wall calendars: Last year, like most years, I bought my calendars, for work and home, after Christmas, when all the calendars are half-off. I did ok with the work one, but the at-home calendar was disappointing. I took no joy in turning to a new month, there was no happiness at gazing at the picture, on the wall here beside my computer. This year, when I couldn't find calendars that I wanted in the store, I took the radical step of ordering online, after January 1st, even, paying less than full price, but more than half. It felt like a wild splurge of sorts, but I am already very content. How lovely my calendars are. Pretty water's edge pictures at work, lovely magickal woodcut designs at home. Ah. Ah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter