Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

05 January 2006

"I Love You Truly"

This is one of the songs that I played on the little push-button chord organ at my grandparents house, when I was a kid. My grandfather's favorite song, though, was 'Lara's theme (from Dr. Zhivago)'. I wouldn't mind hearing that. It would be ok if I never play or sing this one again. Yawn.

I'm going to be turning forty this year, which is fine. The real question: how do I celebrate this year? For the past ten years, or more, I've thrown myself a party every year. Different themes every time: Paris (invites were passports that we stamped, folks could come as a Parisian, model, prostitute, or tourist; we learned to French inhale), Rio/Carnaval (debut of the rum punch, which kept re-appearing under less valid excuses in successive years), Rainforest (I had great pants), Aliens (not a huge turnout, but again, great pants, they were blue and shiny), Goth (particularly good with guest commitment to costume, weren't you the one wearing black?), Pyjama (no excuse to not have a costume), Lord of the Rings (by far the most elaborate, and we gave people trivia quizzes and painted our bathroom as Moria), and the Sixties (also great costume commitment, as well as good range of the sixties themes).

So, do I throw my own party again this year? What kind of theme could possibly measure up? Togas? Superheros? Cave Painting? Paris returns? I had originally been thinking 'Beach', but after being in St. John this year that seems lame compared to actually being on a real beach. So should I travel instead? Go snorkeling from a white sand blue water beach, or hike up to Manchu Pichu? Have someone else throw me a party, maybe even appoint a party committee? Go out dancing with a huge crowd of friends?

Months away at the moment, but I'll need to have some clue a few months from now. It just has to be good. I'm a huge believer in birthdays. It's the one day each person has a year that is their own. Ok, you might share it with someone else you even know. Nevertheless, it's a chance to be celebrated, honored, cherished. Happy Birthday. We're glad that you were born, and now you're in our lives. Yes, you. Yes--You.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter