Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

27 December 2005

"The Band Played On"

I know this song, which isn't particulary surprising, but surely I have never really known all these words before today: '. . .But his brain was so loaded it nearly exploded, the poor girl would shake with alarm. . .' What does that mean? Is he drunk? A stalker of some sort? Why is she still dancing with him? Could someone just cut in, please?

I'm thinking about truth and will today, which is a subject that does require an in-depth essay, which will not happen, since it's very late, and I'm tired. But still: Truth. I'm a big believer in telling the truth as I understand it, to the best of my ability, and with some deliberation and intent. And there's a spiritual, magickal* element here: I believe that when I speak the truth, I increase the power of my will to create reality. If I speak it, with intent, reliably, I can influence the event, make it so. The universe listens. Of course, there are boundaries to be observed, I'm not personally looking to control the weather, or big world events, even if I would have no trouble believing in the ability to do so. (And it would have been quite spiffy to influence the last election. Fabulous, even.) But to influence my own personal world, yes, I do believe that the words that I speak, my truth, can influence the structure and map of my world. It is a magickal act. And so again, in this calendar New Year, as I review my resolutions (and I missed doing this last year, so I'm feeling the pressure to make this year extra good and powerful) I want to speak my truth. Not unnecessarily, not to impress or brag (well, mostly not), but when the need arises, I want to be able to influence things just a bit to get what I want. Who can argue with that?

[*'magick', in this context, and with this spelling: the ability to influence internal or external events or realities by the force of one's will. What one believes, and seeks, and expects, influences heavily what one finds.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter