Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

23 December 2005

"Hello! My Baby"

I know this song from Bugs Bunny cartoons, though I wouldn't have thought to try and sing it, it sounds so goofy in the cartoon. But it's a very satisfying song to sing, I like it. It's peppy, it moves along at a nice clip.

I'm thinking about revelations. In my job I meet new people all the time, it's great. I don't get talking extensively right away with everyone, a lot of people don't talk at all during their massage, but it does happen sometimes. It does often take a long time to develop friendships with my clients, but it does happen, happily. I was thinking lately that the process of having to talk about myself, again and again, with new people, is its own kind of growing. Everyone has different interests, we end up talking about all sorts of things, and these topics become new angles to consider, new doorways into me. What's my position on this, or that, and if she thinks this, what do I think? When I take my time, avoiding knee-jerk quick responses, I realize that I'm not always where I thought I was. I may have always answered *thus*, but now that I think about it, I realize that I'm actually *here*, in this place, with this breath, this idea, this thought. Sometimes, certainly, the realizations are not as pleasant, but I would much rather know these things, also, than not. More often, it's that the landscape has changed or that my map has acquired more accurate details. I have grown, and waiting has brought new truths to light. Luckily, they're not the ultra-conservative truths that my father predicted would come into power once I got out into the 'real world'. Mostly, they're realizations that life is vastly more complicated than I could have imagined. It's worth my attention.

So I had been thinking for a while that, you know, maybe I have enough friends, maybe we can close auditions here and just coast, spend some quality time with the ones I've got. Quality time does sound good, but I think I can't give up on the new friends, too. They continue to open up my world in rich ways, and in doing so, they allow me to introduce me to myself, to the adventurer that I am seeking to become.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter