Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

15 December 2005

"Jalousie"

I have no clue why 'jealousy' is spelled this way in the title, and no where else, but I'm prepared to accept that as some crazy affectation. I was very excited to see that this piece was a tango, because I love to tango, and think the music is fabulous and sexy. And this piece is very fun to play on the piano, I've never done a tango rhythm in that context. But unfortunately, it went a little down hill from there. It's another piece that was originally instrumental, and words were added later. Again, problematic. It's difficult to sing, and it doesn't make much sense to sing it in lots of places. But I would certainly play this piece again. Or maybe I'd just stick on a CD and ask my husband to dance.

We've done tango together on and off, though more off of late, unfortunately. I love pretty much everything about social tango: the clothes, the shoes (there is nothing sexier than a nice ankle strapped tango shoe), being in my husband's arms for the whole time. (I don't mind switching partners, it's good practice, but he does.) And I love the discipline of following: he is in charge, and that's totally correct in this context, and 'all' I need to do is be totally present. Don't anticipate, do what I'm told to do, in time with the music. There's a marvelous Zen quality to it when it's working well.

My husband likes having something for us to do together, and social tango is a very macho thing, full of barely restrained passion, which suits him. I can't imagine him, reserved Brit that he still is, ever enjoying a good Polka, for example (though I do, my Polish roots make it a requirement in service of my family). It's also a good balance practice for him (and me), like martial arts are. But he can't fool me. I know he's in it for the look of those shoes.

1 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jalousie is a kind of window too...

Hope all it well up there. Grading hell should end by tomorrow am.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter