Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

05 December 2005

"You Go to My Head"

A vaguely familiar tune, not great, not bad, not overly fun to sing, not painful. Interesting in history, again, because it was banned from radio broadcast since it mentions alcoholic beverages. Published in 1938, a very different world.

The world today is just upsetting. I'm embarassed to be an American, yet again, especially knowing that as bad as it gets here, I could have it much worse elsewhere in the world. I'd like to think that our country could be a more mature force of good, but I know it's just a dream at the moment. I do know that I don't pretend to know the whole truth, but that this makes me especially upset with those who lie on a habitual basis and don't seem to care about truth at all.

Lies are seductive. Sometimes I'll feel the little white ones creeping in, until they feel like a herd, and I know that I need to be especially careful with my words. Having a child is good practice for this, since a great deal of tact and creativity is necessary to avoid telling lies, while also avoiding certain subjects, or more often, the intricacies of certain subjects, which my daughter has no interest in anyway. But she does occassionally want to talk about things like death, and adoption, and the cheetahs becoming extinct, and she wants the truth from me. And I do my clumsy best. Sometimes my husband is around and can field some of these questions, it's always good to see how he deals with them, I'm always looking to improve my repetoire of phrases. When all else fails, and I can't answer something, I do tell my daughter when I don't know, and there's always the asking of questions in response to questions as well. Always good for a diversion, though I fear that she might be catching onto that one on some level.

How closely do these half truths I tell my daughter relate to the outright lies our politicans pass off as fact? Did they start out this way, avoiding their kid's questions about sex or drugs? Are there things that I don't know that would let me forgive them their current whoppers, or even understand some greater purpose in what they do? Or are they just evil?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter