Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

02 December 2005

"When My Dream Boat Come Home"

There is nothing in this song per se that is worth a cent, but the piano part is so fun to play that I did it twice. But how can you ultimately win with a title like this?

My dreams these days feel very simple, very possible. I don't think so much in advance of what they are, but then something will happen: my husband kisses the side of my neck, I learn the words to a song I love, we get a CD player for the kitchen. Suddenly all is right with the world. And you may be thinking, a CD player for the kitchen? But I'm not really totally materialistic and shallow, it's more that this forty dollar CD player has fufilled this long standing dream we've had to have music easily accessible in the kitchen. And when we put it on tonight for the first time, and listened to a little of Ella Fitzgerald singing Cole Porter (and that CD acquisition has everything to do with this blog), and my husband was flipping around to his favorite songs and dancing that self-absorbed dance of his. . . it felt just right. LIke a good dream I had, and here it was all real, us in our pyjamas, on a Friday night, waiting for pizza, dancing in the kitchen.

And the best part of it all is that this week really sucked in lots of ways, was incredibly frustrating. I felt constantly stymied by long waits and nothing accomlished. Still, Here, life is Good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter