Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

24 November 2005

"Lulu's Back In Town"

This is a walking down the street song, swinging your bag, doing a little soft shoe even though you never had a lesson in your life song. I like it. Not my favorite ever, but it gets a thumbs up.

I've been home at my parents today for the holiday. It's always fabulous to see my family, though in recent years it's been disturbing to see the changes in their neighborhood. Once a very rural community with farmland and forest, now becoming one big suburb. Nothing unique, alas. Change happens, and though I know it's necessary, I don't have to like it. I'm happy to live in a city, where everything is close, where I can walk to get milk or to the library, but I'm happier knowing that the country is there, too. I need to know there are still places where you can see the stars, walk in the woods, hear the sounds of trees in the wind. I'd like to think that individuals choose to be stewards for some of these places, that not all space has to be declared a public park or protected area for it to be safe from mindless development. I grieve to know that this is not usually the case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter