Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

16 November 2005

"As Time Goes By"

Wow! Suddenly I'm in the next section, the 'Songs from Movies' section. That last section could have gone on a bit, I wasn't tired of it yet. This song is a classic, what's not to like. Ok, maybe it's over-done, over-heard, but I do still like it, and it's fun to sing. It can be serious, or schmaltzy, or a little of both.

Today I've been contemplating my inevitable dorkiness. I never did figure out the 'popular' thing in school (though my sister, Beth, did. She was even a cheerleader, darn her.). And while I'd like to believe that the dorks in high school have now become wonderfully eccentric and fun--no, I actually do believe that. At least among my friends. But still, the dorkiness remains in some form. And my fear is that as I age, and care even less about what people think, this will come forth with a vengence. Now, of course, I won't be caring, but my daughter will have to suffer that absolutely inevitable 'O sweet goddess my parents are so embarassing!' thing. I do feel for her. Growing up is so hard, so many unfortunate life lessons to learn, even if the alternative is just way less fun. She will, hopefully, still acknowledge us, at some point. Maybe even appreciate us. Meanwhile I must follow my bliss, and my bliss will probably take me headlong into that realm of geeks, in which I will blissfully pass my latter days, ah, yes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter