Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

07 November 2005

"You and the Night and the Music"

This song is lush and lovely and fun to sing, and as a bonus, it’s a tango. Ahh! The notes mention how it was very well received on Broadway, but banned from the airways since it mentioned being ‘filled with flaming desire’. Ahh! Yes!

[Very frustrating to consider writing today, since I’m skeptical that this post will be able to go up at all. I’ve been having problems, and thus far haven’t heard back from the help people. It’s only been one day, keeping the faith, and the process continues, regardless.]

I’ve been preparing for an audition that I have this week, and it’s got me thinking about what it means to audition at all. It’s a crap shoot, there’s no way to know for sure what ‘they’ are looking for, and, frankly, ‘they’ might not even know, absolutely. So what does it mean to just go out there and be me? Share the love, the energy, the vibrancy and fun that I can give? Can I even pull that off? There’s a freedom in this process, and since I also don’t have a lot of frantic weight attached to it, and it won’t be insanely formal, there can even be some fun in it. Having a bit of a cold this week has been a little bit of a downer, but even that can’t dampen me. Singing through a cold is one of the few things I did learn in college, and my recent studies have only strengthened my other tools besides. I’m not sure I’ll be at my best, but that’s mostly because I can’t hear as well as I’d like, I’m guessing that I might sound more than ok, maybe even good. And I’m auditioning for people I like, whose work I admire.

Am I getting myself psyched up for this deliberately here, trying to drown any nerves? Of course. But it’s all true, even so. I still have dreams where I’ve forgotten all my lines, and I still feel bad for totally flubbing my last choir audtion, lo, these seven years ago, but on the whole, I feel good about what I have to offer. I like it, and I’m willing to have fun with it, and that’s got to be good all around. Heck, it’s even gotten me singing around the house when my husband is home this past week. Not a lot, mind you, but singing. For that alone, I am grateful to an audition for the kick in the butt.

2 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are OK, given the lack of comment on these songs. Perhaps they are so awful that they shall remain unspoken (of)?

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Kathryn said...

Everything now posting as it should, as you can see. My computer has crashed, but I can post on my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter