Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

21 November 2005

"My Own True Love"

Some things don't need words. This is the Tara them from 'Gone With the Wind', and the words are ill set to the original instrumental line. Let's not go here again. Ever. I'd prefer to regain the movie theme on its own terms.

There are times when words are unnecessary. Music and art can carry deep emotional meaning that words would bring up into parcels of insignificance. Between people words are very helpful, though having even a common language does not guarantee that meaning will be consistent between them. When I was in therapy I used the word 'pampered', which to me had the emotional weight of 'nurtured', but my therapist objected, since to her it had the weight of 'indulged', in a pitying sense. It took us a few minutes to figure that out, though. With my father I rarely use bad language, though he has heard it from me, but the phrase he finds most offensive is when I say that I was 'pissed off'. He can't say why, and I am baffled as to the strong feelings he has over this. And that's just the words themselves, throw in the heavyweights such as anger, fear, pain, and grief, mix until lumpy, and we are baking one hell of a mess.

I strive to speak as clearly and exactly as I can, to the best of my ability. We work to help our daughter have a large vocabulary, not to impress anyone, but to be able to convey to another person subtlety and preciseness of meaning. The more clear we can be, the less misunderstanding, and even small misunderstandings often have a snowball rolling down the snowy hill results. I also act based more on the text spoken to me, even if I don't discount the information that my intuition also brings. But I am doing my small part to retrain the world to speak what it means. I think relying on our mind reading skills is a bit premature at this evolutionary stage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter