Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

18 November 2005

"I Only Have Eyes For You"

This is a lovely song, but I certainly had no idea that it was originally from a movie (Dames, 1934). Singing it I can't help but think of the 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' episode that used this so effectively to create a 50s flashback mood. Maybe that's why there's a definite creepy overtone to it for me.

We're having 22 people over tomorrow for a sit down dinner, and I'm still not feeling particularly prepared. Over the years I've gotten much better at party preparation, until it's been a practically no-stressor to throw a wine tasting, or birthday party here. But I'm not feeling that graceful at the moment. Life, work in particular, has been busier, and all of my usual cleaning-up-ahead-of-time fell by the wayside, and now I'm just exhausted, and nothing feels done. I am no longer quite so panicked, since my friends staying here who arrived tonight encouraged me strongly to sit down, relax, start talking, don't worry: what is necessary will get done. Thank goodness for friends, especially friends who don't mind so much that I didn't get the bathrooms cleaned.

My only goal now is that I remember to write my blog tomorrow, since it will be a very busy day. And I might be shy singing in front of house guests. Maybe I just need to start drinking a little early. After my run, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter