Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

20 November 2005

"Too Marvelous For Words"

Boring, just boring. Not horrific, in no way inspirational.

I'm thinking a lot about family. The family of choice, the dear friends that I want to know in the retirement home, and the family of blood, my siblings, their partners, my parents, my husband, my daughter. And that's just the first circle or two. Extending out I have all sorts of wonderful people that I cherish, moving out until I reach the circle of people that includes the mailman who brings a treat for the dog and the nice check out people at Whole Foods. It seems that people move in towards me and out away from me in a dance that's as natural as waves crashing and receding. The inner circles are more stable, but even the people in those shift, sometimes joyfully closer, sometimes heart breakingly farther away, and occassionally it's a gradual, pain-free drift either way. I love meeting new people, even if I'm much less rushed about it these days. My life is so full of love and beloveds, and the people I cherish most are so amazing that the bar is high indeed. The amazing thing is that I still meet people just as fabulous. Friendship and intimacy isn't immediate, and often it never gets that far, but knowing that all these people exist does give me some hope that the world really wants to move towards a good place. Our connections can be healing, invigorating, soothiing, blessing-filled, tender, brave, passionate, steadfast, supportive, challenging, and vastly fun.

At this time I am very very thankful for my families, of blood and of choice. They are so marvelous that I don't have enough words, and I'm happy to keep trying. My world feels warm behind the fall chill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter