Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

27 November 2005

"Jeepers, Creepers"

Well, it's not the Siouxsie and the Banshees version, but it's still fun to sing. Somehow in the process of these voice lessons, my break point has become drastically less of a problem, though I'm not sure why that is. But also, not complaining. In addition, the other day someone had to explain to my daughter what a 'bansidhe' is, as in 'screaming like a banshee. . .'. And she thought she knew all about the fairies. . .

I am more sensual than most people, and of course I know this based on a test in Cosmopolitan. But let's say that I didn't take that test, just for fun: I would still know that this is true. For the most part we humans are more dependent on visual cues, even though scent and taste and touch and sound all influence us to high degrees. especially when it comes to memories. I have often wished that I could remove from my memory the association of Bonnie Bell Sugarplum lipsmacker with that seventh grade dance with my then-crush, Marshall Stafford. . . but alas. I've even been known to bring on the sensation (I saved the lipgloss), more because of the wonderment of the fact that it still works, after all these years. Also, my chosen massage career. my passion for dance, for 'stinky stuff', my taste for wine: all of these are clues to my inherent sensuality. And I cannot complain. There any many gifts that I do not have, and this makes up for most of them. It also makes me feel a bit freak-ish in a not-great way, now and again, but I'm willing to pay that price. It's why I am the Earth Mother, the touch-junkie, the dance-into-the-center-of-myself person that I am. I am again grateful for being content in my own skin, more often than not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter