Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

21 December 2005

"Cuddle Up A Little Closer, Lovey Mine"

I'm hearing the internal barbershop quartet again, it's nice. Sweet, unexceptional, but nice.

I admit, I'm not feeling frantic with holiday preparations. I accept fully that many things will not get done, including things that it would be nice to have complete before this weekend, like cleaning the bathrooms before my in-laws arrive (not to mention my daughter's room, which is hopeless at this point). I am, though, feeling like life is a bit full this past week or so, and I am exhausted. Today seemed unbelievably long. So long, I need to speak in French: Je suis epuisée. Somehow, that always feels more accurate.

But I do feel full of holiday spirit. I've given a few gifts already that have felt just right, and been well received. And if it all stopped right here, that would be ok. I take such great pleasure in finding just the right thing to give the people that I care about. Being a person who spends lots of time taking care of others, I'm also absolutely looking forward to receiving gifts, as well. I am ready to be a little spoiled, and to say thank you very much indeed. I have coming a three day weekend of not working, which also feels like a great gift after so much busy preparation.

The downside is that I won't see most of my family until mid-January, and having put some of their gifts off for the moment, the preparation will continue for a while. There is much to finish, stuff to buy, decisions to be made. But for right now, life is good. Lights are lit, the darkness will roll back, and much merriment will be had.

Be gentle with yourselves, my friends. See the lights, feel the warmth and hope and peace of the season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter