Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

16 December 2005

"Yours is My Heart Alone"

First: the title is very strangely worded. Maybe it's just old fashioned. . . no, wait. . . maybe it's not the original words! And hey, doesn't this sound familiar--who do I hear singing this in my head? Of course, Placido Domingo! I'd know that voice anywhere. This is from that three tenors CD, the first one that everyone went so gaga over, where Mehta conducts. Sure enough, there it is, track four, 'Dein ist mein ganzes Herz!', composed by Franz Lehar. I'll wait while you cue up the track. There we are, all on the same page. And there I was, too, singing along with Placido. It is a lovely tune, though the Reader's Digest version is, of course, abridged, without all the center bit. I sang it in English, and I've certainly sung worse text settings.

I got a lot of Christmas cards sent today, today was the last day to try to get a card reliably to Europe, which was a good incentive, since we have almost a dozen cards going to the UK. The next priority was people who had already sent us cards this year, and then people who sent us cards last year (yes, I keep track, sue me for my Martha-ness), then other family members, then people far away that I miss the most. I ran out of cards way too quickly, and I'm heading out tomorrow to get more.

I'm hoping that we'll get some cards with Christmas letters, I love those things. Some these days even have pictures. I miss my friends very much, and it's good to feel a little caught up with their lives, in some way. We didn't get out a letter ourselves this year, not quite that grown up yet, though we did contribute to the letter that my husband's father sends out. I'm sure he'll edit our part a bit, and if not, hi there all new blog readers who will find this much more than they bargained for!

I'm also your gal for trip pictures, and wedding pictures, and old family jokes. Sign me right up, I want to hear it all, see it all. Tell me your story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter