Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

26 December 2005

"In My Merry Oldsmobile"

Here's a little waltz about a car. Not that people don't still write about their cars, Car Talk manages to find plenty of them to play on their show between segments. But it's still weird to sing a car song; and to think of how this particular song, from 1905, reflects how people of that time thought about their cars. I don't think one would waltz about a car in this day and age. Not even tango.

I am obsessed with my iPod, and can think of little else. It's like a soundtrack in the back of my day. Unfortunately, not yet an actual soundtrack, since I'm still loading things into iTunes, and I'll wait until bedtime to then synchronize everything into my iPod. Podcasts! Playlists! Every song that we own and that I have the slightest interest in at my fingertips! My oh my oh my! I can't wait to create a running mix, listen to Al Franken's radio show, get speakers for my office and mix up the utter monotony of my work music. After all these years of listening to the new age/classical mix of CDs that I own for massage, I am sick of them all. Now, perhaps, I can mix in some old tunes into some more pleasing mix with some new stuff. May take a little while, but it can be done. My one concern with the iPod is that it might skip while I'm running, my husband found this to be a persistent complaint online. But since the Nano was sold out, he went with the regular model, which has the advantage of a huge drive. Happiness, happiness, so much music. Maybe even a few photos.

I should write a song about my iPod. It's the new millenium obsession. I'm thinking in five, with a heavy beat, harmony, and somehow with a cello. Yeah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter