Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

06 January 2006

"Black is the Color"

I have always liked this song. I wish it were longer here, that I knew more verses of it. I am pretty partial to the dark haired men, too. My friend, Veronica, and I, while singing together as kids, always changed the pronouns appropriately in songs to suit our own preferences.

I had an imaginary friend while growing up. My two brothers were relatively close in age to me, but they played together more than they played with me. So for company, I had my imaginary friend. A boy my age, dark haired, green-eyed, and we had all sorts of adventures together. I always imagined us in a black and white world, literally, since I didn't dream in color until my parents got a color television. At one point I had other imaginary creature friends, a dog, a cat, a bird, but they all faded away, leaving just me and him.

The interesting thing is that he stuck around for a long, long time. I can't say that we went on adventures anymore as time went on, but sometimes I would think of him and he could comfort me when I was lonely, my own personal cheering squad. Much later, I wondered if he was my animus personified. Later still, when I had more trouble bringing him to mind, I imagined that he found his own life somehow, split off on his own series. But there will always be a part of me still in that child-like belief, a part of me that expects to turn a corner someday and see him, recognizing him immediately. We will smile. Magic is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter