Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

18 January 2006

"I'll Walk With God"

Ok, the truth is out. I'm not a God-girl; at least, not this kind of god. It was very hard to get through this song, which is a shame, since it has a lot of nice harmonies in the piano part, and it's three pages. . . and it's three pages! Why couldn't this be one of the short ones? In case anyone was holding their breath, be assured that I am not going to someday go through the Reader's Digest Book: Songs of Faith and Devotion. And I do own it, but only for 'When You Walk Through a Storm', which makes me cry, though the movie sucked to the point of being entirely offensive.

My sister, and my nephew, and lots of other people I know, call themselves atheists. The closest I could come to that would be 'agnostic', but that's not even accurate, just maybe on off days, or alternate Mondays.

I am very appreciative of the world's mysteries, and humble enough to know that the world holds many things that would and do amaze me with their improbability, weirdness, or beauty. I'm enough of a scientist to be very skeptical of things that have not been proven, but I'm a mystic, too, and I've had experiences that have been too powerful to ignore, too coincidental or powerful to be chance or fever. But when all is said and done, I can't believe that the Supreme Deity, if He/She exists, can really be bothered too much with any one of us. Like Santa, it's more fun to believe that Someone is at least watching occasionally, the big pattern, if not the little bits. Sheri Tepper in the book 'Grass' has one of her characters speculate that humanity is like a virus, set on Earth with a purpose; and maybe we're not doing so well, a failed experiment. Or maybe we're still in progress.

Beyond all this, I'm not a God-girl because I'm female. If I'm going to believe, I will make Her in my image. Without the glaring flaws.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter