Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

21 January 2006

"A Mighty Fortress is Our God"

Maria and I were looking at this one yesterday, and discovered that, at least in the hymnal that I have, the words have been 'modernized'. What's the point if you don't get to sing 'bulwark never failing'? This is a classic, with all that entails.

I got to spend some time with my friend, Diana, this evening, which was really lovely, and healing to my soul. Not that I was feeling particulary in need of healing, as such, but there is something very fine in spending time with an old friend, quality dumping of issues and experiences with a beloved other. Oftentimes I do get quite lonely on a daily basis, even and especially if I am busy with work. This past year I commited anew to doing a job of service: my clients are paying me for my time, and not only am I responsible to do the best massage I can with them, I am also responsible for respecting their wishes to speak or not. More often, people choose to be silent, which is my choice most often as well, when receiving bodywork. There certainly is a kind of communication that happens without speech, but it doesn't always ease all of me. That is not the point of my work, though, but it is the reality of my job, and most jobs, that my needs will not necessarily be met all of the time.

It does make me especially grateful for evenings with good friends. Thank you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter