Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

25 January 2006

"America The Beautiful"

This song felt hard to sing, which was dissappointing, since I had my voice lesson today, and I would hope that would help. I do agree with those who think that this would be a better national anthem than 'The Star Spangled Banner' (coming soon!). I'd like to feel that 'amber waves of grain' are straightforwardly patriotic in a way that 'bombs bursting in air' just cannot be.

Life is about things being difficult. Now, that sounds fairly Buddhist to me, which probably points out my ignorance in a multitude of ways. But there is truth in the fact that difficulties can be seen as challenges, and without challenges we would not grow. My tradition makes demands upon me every so often in the form of seeking out things that will rock my world. Ideally these things should be profound and create evident and positive change, but should not uproot me so radically that my self cannot function in the world at large. Some changes can seem small from another's perspective, and yet inside me, they start a chain reaction of thoughts, decisions, and realizations that result in big things indeed. For example, all of this was brought on today by something that happened in my half hour voice lesson, which one may not find to be the most fertile field for self exploration and yet, today, it was.

On the other hand, I'm still really tired. I am craving comforts: a good book, some time knitting, and sewing, cuddled someplace warm, taking a bath, red wine. Could I possibly get all of these at once, please? Life is just difficult.

1 Comments:

At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"On the other hand, I'm still really tired. I am craving comforts: a good book, some time knitting, and sewing, cuddled someplace warm, taking a bath, red wine. Could I possibly get all of these at once, please? Life is just difficult."

Oh, god, yes, please. Sign me up too when you find that place.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter