Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

04 February 2006

"Red Sails in the Sunset"

This song has a particularly nice piano arrangement here. The song itself is ok, though the text doesn't ring true without a more complete back story. Since the song was written based on no such thing, but merely on the beautiful picture of a boat on the water at sunset, that will do.

I keep wanting to be back on St. John, snorkeling in Trunk Bay. When I was there this summer it was a crazy trip. I saw a beautiful wedding, and had some fabulous time with my family and a good friend on one hand, and on the other hand it was a logistics disaster. Who knew that the roads would be so narrow that we couldn't walk anywhere? And that, therefore, not having enough vehicle space for everyone would become such a huge deal? And how did I not realize that everything would be so expensive?

But still--that snorkeling. Our equipment wasn't that great, but I found myself unable to give it up. I would think I was coming in for a break, but then I'd head right back out with the next group, and end up drifting off on my own, mesmerized. The water really did look that clear and blue, and it was the perfect temperature against my skin. The sand really was that white. I never did see the turtle I was hoping for, surely I could go back for another try. I am very touched that my parents thought to buy me a watercolor print of a turtle when they left. Realistically I could meditate on that, play that Sting album about the turtles, if it actually has anything to do with turtles, and there you are. Hmmm. Maybe it wouldn't be quite the same.

These days, insanely busy by my own choice, I still fantasize about getting away. If I had my druthers, I'd be back there. They said the weather is pretty much the same all year, so I could go now and it would actually all still be there as I left it. Ahh. My turtle is waiting, I know she is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter