Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

01 February 2006

"Blue Moon"

Ok, moon theme going on. Plus, a three-pages-per-song theme going on as well; maybe they had requests for this book to be not-quite so condensed. I'll all for that, but this song is also very low, which is also unusual, based on how the last book went. I took it up a fourth or so, that helped a bit.

I had a not-wanting-to-sing day. (And, apparently, a day-to-really-use-the-hyphen.) This will happen, I understand, but it felt unfair on a voice lesson day. My teacher wants me to try a bit of playing-piano-and-singing (I'm giving over into hyphen-land here, going to the extremes so that I can come back tomorrow with just-enough). So I've played a couple of songs that I sang back in the college voice lesson days, and it is nice to revisit these pieces. I love Faure, Samuel Barber, Leonard Bernstein, and Ned Rorem. But I haven't played the piano parts in a couple years, at least, much less while singing. The benefit is that I will show my vocal faults in high relief within my lesson time, distracted as I am with playing the piano part simultaneously (and not especially well). And this is a good thing. I knew from the beginning that my lesson is the time to make the big mistakes, otherwise how would I learn how to correct them? So today I got a good start. Somehow I was able to easily reach a high B-flat in my warm-up, but I bombed on an E in the song. Life is all about these learnings: I can reach so high and far, and I know it, but somehow I manage to trip myself up on the way.

Yahoo, growth opportunities. They'd be a heck of a lot less stressful if I weren't so tired, besides.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter