Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

08 February 2006

"Penthouse Serenade"

I didn't spend as much time with this one today as I wanted to, it played and sang through very smoothly on the first go, though. And I liked the feel of it.

I have such a great job. Lately I've been feeling really good about the massage work that I've been doing, and where it's going. I feel as though I've been able to pay closer attention to it, and put lots more energy into it. I've learned new things in recent workshops that I've taken, and it's fascinating to see how the new techniques work. It's immediate gratification when my client likes it, and it's a good lesson when they don't, especially when they can tell me why they don't. Because the work has been so much fun, so satisfying, it's reminded me of when I first started doing massage. At the time, it was difficult to think of charging money for something that I enjoyed so much. I did get over that, and I'm not going to give it all way any time soon, I couldn't afford to right now. But sometimes I feel almost guilty for liking work so much.

It helps having clients that I really like, and I'm glad that I've drawn in such wonderful people over the years. I was working on a friend the other night, and we were running a little late, running dangerously close to her evening television viewing, but it was hard to end the massage. It's certainly not the first time that I've been aware this is because I simply like working on people, working the warm puzzle of what works for them. There's a great communication that happens, often without words at all. When I'm breathing with the person lying receptively under my hands, I know where I'm going, I even can feel how it feels, to some extent: my life feels comfortably in the groove of the perfect communion of now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter