Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

11 February 2006

"Blue Hawaii"

[This post was delayed not because of Comcast, but because I am out of town. I am with a very fine piano, but without internet access. I am writing my post, though--long hand!--such is the depth of my dedication.]

This piece would be better as an instrumental number, a mood piece. I think it has an evocative feel to it, but it's just boring to sing.

I would like to go to Hawaii at some point. Anywhere that I can find mountains and the ocean in such close proximity sounds perfect to me. My husband's not overly fond of the warm, scenic vacation, though, so I'll have to find other travel companions. We've also heard a lot lately about Hawaii's high risk of tsunamis, not to mention the ever-present volcanic threat as well.

I like these reminders that we live on a planet, that we are tiny beings on a large rock hurtling though space. We cannot control earthquakes, tornadoes, or even blizzards. The world is terrible and awe-inspiring. It feels like a privilege to walk on it, and I want to tread lightly and mindfully, not forgetting to admire the glory of the clouds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter