Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

14 March 2006

"Matilda"

This song makes me think of the islands, specifically of St. John and my fabulous time on the beach at Trunk Bay. Maybe it's just that it's March, and snowy, and I'm craving warmth. This was also a lot of fun to play, mostly because I think that the part of piano lessons that's working on figuring out accompaniments based on chords and patterns is working. Darn you, Jackie.

I had forgotten how absolutely miserable being sick could make me. It's very humbling. I was also sure up until the 23rd hour that I would possibly feel this miserable forever--and then, somewhat suddenly, it was gone. I could feel it leave my body like a veil had been lifted. I could stand upright, walk downstairs, eat some soup. It all felt miraculous.

Then I felt faintly guilty. I had had to cancel some rather critical appointments yesterday, and I agonized over that decision, even as the afternoon passed and I realized, from my everlasting prone position on the couch, that this had been the correct decision. It felt a lot like PMS: something taking my body into its own custody, and I had no control. And then it left, also without my consent or complete awareness. Extremely frustrating.

I'm going to bed, to sleep off the last dredges of this thing, and to dream of a white sand and blue water beach. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter