Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

11 March 2006

"I Want to Hold Your Hand"

I think this song should never be played on the piano, and that absolutely means never ever again in this arrangement. Possibly, this song should never be played by anyone but The Beatles. Further, I never want to sing this song, except while singing along with a recording of the Beatles. Then it's ok. Let's not discuss this again.

If you were to put me at a garage sale, or in a thrift store, I know what I'm doing. I can shop along with the best of them in these situations. But today, I have realized that my shopping skills, in general, are totally inadequate. Why didn't I take the advanced level shopping classes in college like Michael and Larry did? (400 level courses included the ever-popular 'International Shopping in Terrorist Countries'. I didn't make that one up. Someone else did.)

I planned to do some shopping today, and I also planned, initially, to see a voice recital, and to see a movie. Circumstances beyond my control prevented all but the shopping, and that didn't go well. I don't know what to do when I don't have a very set agenda; for example: buy milk, eggs, bread, cat food. I can do that. I don't organize my coupons as well as I would like, but I can comparison shop in a grocery store, or even a couple of stores. I gravitate towards sale signs everywhere, I remember how much things cost last week. I know what I'm willing to pay for artichokes.

On the other hand, put me in a store where I have the opportunity to look randomly for things I want or need, and things don't work so well. Yes, we need pillows: should have bought those at the white sales in January. Ditto for boots, and a tent: should have gotten these things when they were on clearance a month or more ago. Now it's just spring fashions in the stores, and I should know better. That purse I've been obsessing about? It would be helpful if I had noted the brand, or any other significant details when I first saw these purse styles--some two years ago, now. It's absolutely pointless to even think that I will see anything like it in a store now. But I still look. I don't know what else to do. Someday I will see this purse at a yard sale--I'm guessing ten or more years from now--and until then I am destined to browse aimlessly, desultorily, hopelessly.

My morale steadily dropped all afternoon, attempting to shop effectively, or at all, and I couldn't even work up the honest desire to buy myself a sandwich for dinner. I came home and heated a can of soup instead. Afterwards I tried shopping for cowboy boots online, a desperate attempt at closure. I knew better than to attempt important decisions in an uncertain mood. My life remains unresolved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter