Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

24 April 2006

"For Me And My Gal"

Today we start a new section, 'Golden Favorites: Old-Time Fun and Harmony'. I'm thinking that means something important, somehow. This song was featured in Gene Kelly's first movie, and that's important here since he was a home-town boy. Pittsburgh still has movies filmed here, with our varied landscape we can fake a lot of different places, and the cost of living is not high. This song: so-so. I wouldn't throw it out, I wouldn't seek it out.

It is true that I've never been so interested in gals, and there was a time in my youth, and not-so-youth, that I thought that I absolutely should be attracted to both sexes. Some of my very best friends are bi-sexual, after all. But I never could be interested in women other than as good friends. That's all because men are so absolutely interesting to me. A little too interesting, perhaps, during my first marriage. I can never quite forgive myself for that, for what I did. But my first husband forgave me, in the end, and that did help. I've never been really tempted with the current model, he's kept me on a bit of a short lease, in a way, without being at all possessive, and that has been a winning combination. Although I've promised him that I wouldn't write here about him directly, I can write from my own point of view in a more limited way. He doesn't read my blog very often either, I try not to mind that.

It does get me thinking about point-of-view in a more general sense: how it limits us, and frees us, to experience the world in a unique way. And how it doesn't matter so much, in the end. There is just entirely too much information to take it, too many points of view articulated too clearly. Too much information, indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter