Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

25 April 2006

"Cruising Down the River (On A Sunday Afternoon)"

It's both dated and insulting that the composers of this piece are referred to as 'two middle-aged lady musicians'. This may not be the best song ever, or the most profound, but still--they did win a songwriting contest with this tune. When I'm mentally lazy, I get this song confused with 'In the Good Old Summertime', since they're both waltzes.

I'm thinking about waltzes these days, thinking about waltzing at my birthday party, and if it would be possible to set up an outdoor dance floor in my front yard, perhaps under a tent. This would also be part of the 'Damn Bar is Finally Closed' celebration.

I do spend a lot of effort in planning my parties, and this one requires relatively little work, all in all. The Lord of the Rings party required months of preparation, weeks of painting, not to mention the sewing of multiple costumes, and wrapping of mathoms. Compared to that, all I really have to do for this one is maybe string up some lights and think of a theme drink. And make a dress. I could whip that together overnight, if necessary.

I've already gotten responses from a lot of out of town friends and family members, and I'm so excited to have them come here for this. Someone pointed out that 'You're not even dead! Or getting married, or anything!' No cantoring necessary, though I'm hoping that we'll all get drunk enough to sing. Not too drunk, though, I'd like to keep it to the level of much fun without vomiting, appropriately mature, in my eyes, for a fortieth birthday party. My goals for impending adulthood: no vomiting, minimal glass breakage, partying to a respectable hour of 2AM or so. Sleeping in the next morning: priceless. Someday, that reference alone will irrevocably date me.

1 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait for the party. Are we really renting an outdoor dance floor? Will we need a permit for the orchestra? Isn't there a local ordinance against audibly playing Johann Strauß?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter