Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

29 April 2006

"The Sweetheart of Sigma Chi"

This song, thematically, makes more sense when one knows that it was written in 1912. A simpler age, in some ways. I can't imagine a young woman being entirely flattered in this day and age to be the 'Sweetheart of Sigma Chi'. Not that I personally know any Sigma Chis, maybe they put women on pedestals, bring them flowers daily, treat them very well indeed. Prove me wrong.

About a thousand years ago a friend of mine wrote a song, 'Only Animals'. It was a fabulous song to dance to, and we played very much to the animals theme: crawling over one another, growling, howling. At the time, and even more so later, I knew that we were demonstrating something of the truth of the song, which referred to humans as animals in a less than positive sense. Humankind should be more than animals, more than knee-jerk reactions, more than survival of the fittest, more than me-or-you, kill your children to feed my own. We kept howling away. But that final line stuck with me, I can still hear and see Mike singing it: 'prove me wrong'.

2 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've known a Sigma Chi or two. Actor Tom Selleck is a Sigma Chi, but I don't know whether he puts women on a pedestal. His character's relationship with Candace Bergen's makes that hard to imagine, though he's been singing a lot on "Boston Legal" of late. Showtunes mostly.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Kathryn said...

This means something, I'm sure of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter