Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

24 May 2006

"Autumn Leaves"

Originally based on a French poem, later adapted with English lyrics. Surely, somewhere out there the French exists, and I'd love to try it. I like this piece to play, but not so much to sing as is. Its lovely melancholy works better without words.

In recent years I tend to follow my intuition when I feel a need rising in myself. On a very practical level, I pay attention to what I am physically hungry for: is it protein I want? green things? salty things? chocolate? Or it will occur to me to do some small task, like put something away, in passing. If it doesn't cramp my time I don't think too hard about these things, I just do them. I assume that on some level my brain is making decisions, good decisions, and I don't feel the need to know the nitty gritty of how they were made. This sort of following my nose, woven through doing the other tasks of my day, makes my life feel like a gentle dance. I feel that I've become less frantic and more productive, yet another way of paying attention as things move, like breath through my lungs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter