Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

15 May 2006

"Bouquet of Roses"

I'm sure that if I knew more about Country music I might have heard this song at some point. I'm not a huge Country fan, though, though my husband listens now and again, and I've heard some of the contemporary highlights. We're big fans of the Faith Hill video for 'Like We Never Loved At All'. I like this song because it's a perfect Country blend of bitter and sweet--and way before people started singing about their trucks.

This last Sunday, after the race frustration, my husband and daughter presented me with a Starbucks' card, and took me out to brunch at the Walnut Grill. My day got much much better from then on.

I discovered the Walnut Grill one weekend when my husband was away. He had the car, so my daughter and I walked down to Shadyside, an upscale neighborhood complete with chi-chi shopping district. We browsed through the toy store, and decided to try this place for lunch. The food was very good, the atmosphere was pleasant, and since we were walking home, I indulged in a glass of wine with lunch. That clinched it: for me, the warm yellow, slightly trendy, friendly Walnut Grill is like being on vacation. When we've been on vacation we eat at fun restaurants, places that feel new, cozy, and inviting all at once. We're pretty relaxed, happy to sit down and joke with the wait staff, try new things. We have a drink with lunch.

At home, we eat pasta. We don't go out much, and if we do, it's to Eat N Park, the local diner chain, where we have pretty much the same meal every time, by choice. Eating at the Walnut Grill opened my eyes to my hometown: what if I were visiting here, what would I think? Where would I be drawn to eat, to shop, to browse, to snap photos? This is a beautiful city, and I know it every day, but seeing it through my 'tourist eyes' makes me appreciate it even more, and gets me determined to do all of those things: eat, drink, take pictures, maybe even shop when I don't have a list of necessities, if I feel like really living on the edge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter