Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

11 May 2006

"Beautiful Ohio"

I found it difficult to commit to this song, and I'm not sure if it was just a general difficulty with my day. I guess the song's just boring--but since it is the state song of Ohio, I don't want anyone to be offended. I was born in Cleveland, Ohio, my dad was getting his doctorate at Case Western. I once spent the fourth of July in a bus terminal in Toledo. I got offered a big scholarship from the University of Dayton; Ohio State was my second choice for school (after Syracuse, Dayton actually was choice number four). I have good friends in Ohio. Does any of this count if I find the state song boring? How many people even know their state song? It occurs to me that I have no idea what the state song for Pennsylvania is. Hold on.

Oh God, it's horrible. And only signed into officiality in 1990. Don't listen to it, whatever you do! I'm going into deep, deep mourning over this, wearing sackcloth, ripping my hair. Or maybe just trimming it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter