Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

06 May 2006

"Harrigan"

It's a fun spelling song! Like 'Bingo', but not! I feel very ambivalent towards this one, I sang it through quite a few times, and it inspired neither love nor hate, which says something all on its own. I even sang it at different times--morning and evening--no difference. Ah well.

Tomorrow morning at 6AM, Eastern, my husband will begin running the Cincinnati marathon. This will be his fourth marathon, his third time running this particular one. He's hoping to finish in under four hours.

I'm very disappointed that we can't be there with him this weekend, as we have in the past. My daughter's school was having its Mayfair today, and besides her disappointment if we dared to miss this event, I had commitments with my singing group there. It was a good day. But tomorrow morning my daughter and I will be thinking of him, and waiting to hear of his journey. Running this distance seems to be a mind-altering event akin to drug use, and it's very useful to have a familiar face around as one 'comes down' from the experience, we know it would actually make a difference to him to have us there.

While I was browsing through a running magazine today it was hard to not be aware of how hip it is to run marathons these days. I have no desire to do this, though I also have no doubt that I could do it. There is this belief in me that if I have seen someone else do it (someone 'ordinary', like myself), I can do it. Like walking on fire: it can be done.

I am concerned that my desire to be 'merely' Queen of the 10K will never be respected by the larger running crowd, but so be it. Meanwhile, I have quite a ways to work up from 'underservant of the 10K'.

2 Comments:

At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did it go?

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger Kathryn said...

He didn't finish under 4 hours, but just over. More importantly, he felt that he acheived a certain mental breakthrough, heretofore unknown. He certainly hasn't given up on the marathon yet, and this one in particular. And how lucky he is, indeed, to be married to a massage therapist.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter