Unitarian Hymnal Sing-along

In which Kathryn attempts to sing a different song everyday from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal, 'Singing the Living Tradition'. Earlier posts are based on songs from the Reader's Digest songbooks she found at yard sales as a child, including: 'Reader's Digest Treasury of Best Loved Songs', 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook', and 'Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy'. Bonus Folk song material from: 'Folk Song USA', by John and Alan Lomax.

22 May 2006

"That's Amore"

Except for the unfortunate and over-used first line of this song, it's not bad. And it's fun to sing, it does have that Italian easy swing to it, even if it's basically in English. All this not yet mentioning how very satisfying it was to play through it so well on the first go.

Today was less satisfying in other ways, and I knew that it would be from the start, knowing what kind of work there was to be done. In theory, knowing this would ease the end of day reality. I spent a lot of my time doing organizational work in my daughter's room, which is looking gratifyingly empty as we prepare for painting. I'm glad that I do take the time to sort through her things, rather than just sweep them up and throw them all away, which is the approach that my husband might take, I suspect. I wouldn't blame him, it's tedious work that requires something of an education: What is this little bit here and what thing or things did it originally go with and where are they now? (Repeat this several hundred times.) Although the work I did today was important, and I did fill up a couple of trash cans--which surely means that something was accomplished--at the end of the day it looked pretty much as it did at the beginning. I did move a couple of things around just to give the impression of progress.

On the other hand, it is obvious that this large project will finally be done at some point in the very near future, and that is immensely satisfying. We've lived in this house for seven years now, and we've taken our time with the painting. This has meant in practice that every room painted has been transformed, as we re-think our use of the space while putting things back together. Plus it's clean, and pretty. (Bright colors, Oooo.) I just hope our daughter is happy with this, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter